Monday, December 18, 2017

Adaptation Measures: Beach Cleans

Hello all!

As mentioned, I will speak briefly about beach cleans this week. I recall myself going to mass beach cleaning activities in secondary school, having been instructed to pick up beach litter like bottles, plastic bags, food wrappers and drink cans before they were swept into the sea. However, it has struck me that large single-use garbage bags were used to store the beach litter as seen in Figure 14. 

Figure 14. Doing my part for the environment when I was 14 by cleaning up the shorelines of Singapore. Source: Author.

It personally brings to mind whether we will ever be able to completely eradicate plastic bag use, after developing such a form of dependence on it. I am personally still not able to avoid the use of single-use plastic bags for waste disposal at home, as they remain the cleanest and most efficient way to collect food waste and cooked liquids. How do we reuse and recycle these garbage bags? How do we make sure our mode of disposal ensures that they do not end up in water bodies?

In my next post after Christmas, I would conclude this blog. Have a great Christmas (and happy birthday to myself!)

No comments:

Post a Comment